DSA2

Carlo Luciano Bianco clbianco at tiscalinet.it
Thu Sep 28 00:56:49 CEST 2006

Il /27 set 2006/, *David Shaw* ha scritto:

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 12:08:31AM +0200, Carlo Luciano Bianco
> wrote:
>> Well... Does this mean that we can link GnuPG to OpenSSL library
>> for ECC subroutines and stay safe from patent problems? If so,
>> this can be a temporary solution (of course, if OpenSSL license
>> is compatible with GnuPG one)...
>
> No, the licenses are not compatible.

I was afraid of something like that... :-/

> We had quite a problem (and
> are still fixing the fallout) with even a small license exception
> to allow linking the LDAP and CURL keyserver helpers to OpenSSL
> for ldaps and https.

Do you mean I would better change my tutorial to use only libcurl
with no SSL support?

> Plus there are the patent issues, which raise a very large
> headache for Free software in general.

I see...

> In any event, it doesn't matter even if the licenses were
> compatible: OpenPGP does not have ECC in it.

But ECC could be included in the new RFC2440-bis draft currently
being written, that's why I have asked about the status...

> GnuPG won't support
> ECC until the OpenPGP standard specifies it.

Of course...

> I don't see that
> happening any time soon, especially given the patent issues.

I see, this is the real problem... :-/

--
                      |  ICQ UIN: 109517158
 Carlo Luciano Bianco |  Home page: <http://clbianco.altervista.org/>
GnuPG RSAv4 4096 - Fingerprint:FA68CF697EA63865AAFA805F68703AD40609D743