personal-digest-preferences

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Apr 14 21:10:39 CEST 2007

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 05:38:30PM +0200, Jørgen Christiansen Lysdal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As it says in the manual --personal-digest-preferences has a default
> value of sha1. But why does it have a default value when
> --personal-cipher-preferences does not?

It's historical.  Older versions of GPG generated keys with a standard
hash preference of RIPEMD/160 before SHA-1.  When GPG later started
using that hash preference to decide which hash to pick, this resulted
in people who were expecting SHA-1 to suddenly get RIPEMD/160.  To
restore the old behavior, we stuck a SHA-1 preference in
personal-digest-preferences.

David