personal-digest-preferences

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sun Apr 15 05:58:37 CEST 2007

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 04:38:12PM -0400, John W. Moore III wrote:
> Jørgen Christiansen Lysdal wrote:
> > John W. Moore III wrote:
> >>  Or change it; say to SHA 256?
> >
> > That will not work, since my goal is not to factor in my own prefs.
> > Not all keys "support" sha256, so that will leave gpg complaining when
> > i encrypt and sign to them, am i right??

No.  You can put any hash in the list you like.  If that hash is not
appropriate for a given context (say, SHA256 with a DSA key), then it
is skipped.

The intent behind the personal-xxxxx-preferences is they are a "safe"
way to specify algorithms.  Unlike forcing an algorithm with something
like --digest-algo, personal-digest-preferences will never cause the
use of an algorithm that violates the protocol.

David