Batch Mode and decrypt

Joseph Oreste Bruni jbruni at mac.com
Thu Apr 19 17:57:04 CEST 2007

If the passphrase is passed in as a parameter to the script, the
passphrase will be clearly visible in the process list (on Unix/
Linux) (via the "ps" command).

To be honest, there is really no way to properly secure a passphrase
for an automated system if the passphrase exists anywhere on that
system. All users with root access will be able to get to the private
key through some means.

If you are not worried about users with root access, then you don't
need to encrypt the private key, since non-root users won't be able
to read the secret key in the process's home directory.

It's a chicken-or-egg situation. If you can trust the root users, you
are better off keeping it simple and just not using an encrypted
private key. If you cannot trust the root users, you should not trust
the system at all.