Generating and storeing keys on usb pen

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Mon Apr 23 02:37:13 CEST 2007

rocko wrote:
> I want to generate a new key pair, but i want to save it to
> a usb pen drive so i can keep it safe.
> I don't want any gpg keys stored on my laptop, in case it gets
> lost or stolen, the culprits won't have access to my gpg keys.
> So my questions is how do i tell gpg to look for my keys on a
> usb pen drive so i can encrypt and decrypt files on my laptop?
>
> I looked in the 'How To's' and 'Guides' but didn't see anything
> on generating keys on a pen drive.
>
> Can i envoke a 'path' to my keys when i run gpg?
> "gpg --encrypt path_to_keys_on_usb_drive filename"

In gpg.conf in your GnuPG home directory, specify

	no-default-keyring
	keyring		/path/to/usb/keys/pubring.gpg
	primary-keyring	/path/to/usb/keys/pubring.gpg
	secret-keyring	/path/to/usb/keys/secring.gpg
	trustdb-name	/path/to/usb/keys/trustdb.gpg

Move the three .gpg file to /path/to/usb/keys/

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10/0x18BB373A

"Just how do the residents of Haiku, Hawai'i hold conversations?"