Public key contents

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.net
Sat Apr 28 07:53:32 CEST 2007

James Moe <jimoe at sohnen-moe.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>  Is is possible to view the contents of a public key file without
> importing first?

PGPDUMP
http://www.pgpdump.net/

$ pgpdump JamesMoe.asc | more
Old: Public Key Packet(tag 6)(418 bytes)
        Ver 4 - new
        Public key creation time - Sun Aug 25 17:47:30 MDT 2002
        Pub alg - DSA Digital Signature Algorithm(pub 17)
        DSA p(1024 bits) - ...
        DSA q(160 bits) - ...
        DSA g(1024 bits) - ...
        DSA y(1024 bits) - ...
Old: User ID Packet(tag 13)(34 bytes)
        User ID - James M Moe <jimoe at sohnen-moe.com>
Old: Signature Packet(tag 2)(75 bytes)
        Ver 4 - new

... (SOME OMITTED)

Old: User ID Packet(tag 13)(34 bytes)
        User ID - James M Moe <smajim at earthlink.net>
Old: Signature Packet(tag 2)(75 bytes)
        Ver 4 - new

... (SOME MORE OMITTED)

Old: Signature Packet(tag 2)(63 bytes)
        Ver 3 - old
        Hash material(5 bytes):
                Sig type - Subkey Binding Signature(0x18).
                Creation time - Sun Aug 25 17:47:58 MDT 2002
        Key ID - 0xB31C4C922D1FA0AA
        Pub alg - DSA Digital Signature Algorithm(pub 17)
        Hash alg - SHA1(hash 2)
        Hash left 2 bytes - 1e 36
        DSA r(158 bits) - ...
        DSA s(155 bits) - ...
                -> hash(160 bits)

Your key is NOT on my key-ring.  Nuff?  Very little in gpg
version 1 to show this stuff.  If you export your key to
a file, you can just paste the text into the web-site input
panel and he dumps it for you without you having to download
and build pgpdump, e.g.,

$ gpg -a --export 2D1FA0AA > JoeMoe.asc
$ cat JoeMoe.asc
# copy and paste into browser panel at pgpdump.net for
# analysis

Do you REALLY want CAST5 as your preferred symmetric cipher
and IDEA as your second choice?

$ gpg --edit-key 2D1FA0AA
Commmand> setpref AES AES192 AES256 TWOFISH CAST5 3DES \
	SHA1 SHA256 SHA512 BZIP2 ZLIB ZIP Uncompressed \
	MDC no-ks-modify
Command> save
$

What you put where and the order is YOUR choice.  Only
YOU know what you want.  No, you cannot ask me for
recommendations but if you dump my key you will see
my choices. Ergo, the order I gave here and the omission
of MD5, SHA224, RIPEMD160 hashes and the BLOWFISH cipher
does NOT mean you should exclude them. The line was getting
rather long there and you do NOT put in the "\" ...
There are short-hand notations for them and Laurent Jumet
posted them a little while back (Volume 43, Issue 17 of
the Digest).  So you can pick your poison of long-hand
verus short- hand as well.  Isn't that nice?

Ta-ta

HHH