gnupg 'unknown user' complaint about the subkey of a public key (signed)

Mark Van De Vyver mvyver at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 15:06:19 CEST 2007

Hi,
Thanks for all the excellent work that has gone into making gnupg available.
(Please cc me directly if possible - my list membership seems to be
taking some time, and I now need to sleep... )

I'm using:
 openSUSE 10.2
 gnupg (gpg-1.4.5-24.4 and gpg2-1.9.22-20.2 )

The gnupg packages are those distributed by suse.

I think I've run into a problem that has been encountered before (see
the link below):
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2006-May/028663.html

Specifically I find that gnupg (1.4.5 and 1.9.22) always complains
about a public subkey being unknown:

gpg: <PUBLIC_SUBKEY_ID>: There is no assurance this key belongs to the
named user
gpg: [stdin]: sign+encrypt failed: unusable public key

I've tried re-signing this key, and gpg indicates that the key was
already signed.  If I try and sign the subkey it indicates the key is
not used for signing, and that the key has already been signed.... It
took me ages/days to work all this out, so I'm at my wits end :)

I assume the patch mentioned above will fix my problem....
Unfortunately I'm not that comfortable patching and building... so was
hoping someone can indicate what version(s) of gnupg would come with
this patch?  Ideally I'd like to have a production 'version' (1.4.x),
but if it is too soon for that I'd live with using the development
version (2.x).  My distribution is  and the latest release they have
is 1.4.5.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Regards
Mark