OpenPGP and usability

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Aug 8 19:39:58 CEST 2007

Werner Koch wrote:
> So today the question is "Why Diffie can't encrypt" ;-)

Not quite Whit Diffie, but not that far away from him, either.  :)

> Just "lsign" all keys or let someone sign all keys and assign him
> ultimate trust.  That is the easiest ad-hoc way.

Right, I'm not disputing that there is a way to do this.  However, the
person in question was unable to find that solution in the time he spent
researching the problem.  This suggests to me that either (a) the
OpenPGP standard is bad for being too complex, (b) [GnuPG|Enigmail]'s
user [interface|documentation] is bad for not making it easier to
discover these things.  I doubt we can do anything about (a), but all
four cases of (b) might warrant some looking into.