Questions about generating keys

Janusz A. Urbanowicz alex at bofh.net.pl
Wed Aug 22 16:11:00 CEST 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 01:06:18PM +0300, Oskar L. wrote:
> I'm about to generate a new keypair, and got a few questions.
>
> I have many e-mail addresses and change them frequently, and therefore I
> don't want to have one in my public key. (Also because I'm afraid of
> getting spam.) I think this would be easier than having to update a lot of
> user IDs. Are there any any drawbacks in not having an e-mail address in
> the public key? Are there any widely used applications that will expect
> one, and not work if none is found?

Yes, common sense. if you submit your key to a keyserver, there should
be some way to distinguish your key from hundreds of other having the
same short name, when searching for a key.

Sidenote: you are getting spammed anyway, it is better to invest in
filtering infrastructure (greylisting, spamassassin, bogofilter), than
play whack-a-mole with spammers, with you being the mole.

> Is there any way to manually set the time that will be used for the
> creation time? Or do I have to change the system time if I don't want to
> use the current time? I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and think 00:00:00
> looks much better than something like 01:42:57.

It looks unnatural and doctored.

Alex
JID: alex at hell.pl
PGP: 0x46399138
od zwracania uwagi na detale są lekarze, adwokaci, programiści i zegarmistrze
 -- Czerski