Questions about generating keys (hash firewalls)

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Aug 25 15:05:31 CEST 2007

Allen Schultz wrote:
> Is there a comprehensive list of hashes used in encryption that can
> help me choose which is the best to use?

If all you want is to provide a very high level of authentication for
your messages, just stick with the defaults and you'll do just fine.

Seriously.  GnuPG is specifically designed so that the defaults are
sensible for the overwhelming majority of users.

There is no "best" hash.  My usual metaphor is that arguments over the
"best" hash function, the "best" key, the "best" encryption algorithm,
etc., are about as meaningful as debating whether Godzilla or
Mechagodzilla is more effective at flattening Tokyo.  No matter which
one you choose, Tokyo gets flattened.