How to use GnuPG to generate sha512sum hash?

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Fri Aug 31 11:29:20 CEST 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 04:38:51AM -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Moses wrote:
> > I want hash some strings by using GnuPG, I know GPG have hash
> > function, but I can't find how to do it in the manuals or other
> > documentations on the official website. What's parameters used by
> > GPG for hash?
> >
> > Furthermore, I would like use sha-512 hash strings from standard
> > input, rather than from files, is it possible? If not, is there any
> > other app can do this for me?
>
> Perhaps this:
>
> echo "some string" | gpg --print-md SHA512
>
> is what you're looking for?

...or, certainly, echo -n "some string" if you want just the string
without the terminating newline :)  At least on most POSIX-like systems,
that is.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
This sentence every third, but it still comprehensible.