losing meaningful whitespaces in an encrypted file

paladino bushfiel at purdue.edu
Thu Aug 30 20:14:17 CEST 2007

Hi, I'm sorry to jump right in with a dumb question, but I've tried doing
some research myself and I have to confess to much of this being way over my
head.

I work for a University that uses GnuPG to encrypt files to send out to
various vendors.

We're having a very odd situation right now with one of our files.

We are sending a file that has a header line that ends with 13 spaces. We
are encrypting the file from the command line, on a unix machine, with
GnuPG.  Here's the actual command our guys are using:
/usr/local/bin/gpg -v -r XXXXXXXX -f &filename

We are then transmitting the file to a vendor who is unencrypting it with
the windows version of PGP.

When I look at the file here, immediately before it is encrypted, the 13
white spaces are still there. When I look at the file at the vendor,
immediately after decryption, the 13 spaces are gone.

I haven't had any luck with getting more information from the vendor about
what kind of options they are using.  I do know they are using a windows
version, and the guy says he basically just double clicks on it, types in a
password, and it unencrypts the file.

Is there anything obvious that could be causing something like this?  Which
end is it more likely the problem is at?

I've been reading about pgp and gpg all day, and while I've learned alot
about both, I'm no closer to a solution for this one than when I started.
Thanks for any help at all.