Decrypt problem with large file

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Dec 5 20:06:56 CET 2007

vedaal at hush.com wrote:
> a simpler, much faster, solution is to just use truecrypt
> and then encrypt the keyfile with gnupg

Unless you have done performance metrics with 1TB datasets, I seriously
doubt the accuracy of this statement.  Backing up 1TB is definitely a
torture test; small effects can grow to dominate.  It is very possible
that the additional overhead of the TrueCrypt virtual device driver
layer will more than offset any gains achieved over 7Zip.

It's also very possible that TrueCrypt would be faster.  I don't know.
I haven't done torture tests of the two side-by-side with the same 1TB
dataset.

Skepticism is most definitely warranted.