Validating encrypted files

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sat Dec 8 18:37:01 CET 2007

On Fri,  7 Dec 2007 22:08, aolsen at standard.com said:

> I also occasionally need to verify the integrity of the encryption.
> (Sometimes we get damaged files.  If it is damaged, there is no clear

The OpenPGP encryption includes integrity checking of the encryption.
So even without a signature you will get an error if the ciphertext has
been corrupted on its way to you.  This MDC feature is be default only
used with modern ciphers but you may force the creation of such messages
using --force-mdc.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner