external pinpad, gnupg, SPR532 PinPad SmartCard Reader

Michael Parker MichaelParker at gmx.de
Sun Feb 11 15:44:37 CET 2007

Hi,

 I tried to setup an external smartcard reader with a pinpad and on gentoo I
don't get it to work.
 On an ubuntu-installation the pin isn't enterd by the external pinpad but by
the regualar keyboard and that works fine.
 On gentoo I'm asked to enter the pin on the pinpad of the reader. After
entering it doesn't find the secret key.

 Some details of my system:

 It's a

Code:
  Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04e6:e003 SCM Microsystems, Inc. SPR532 PinPad
SmartCard Reader

 gpg-agent.conf

Code:
  pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-qt
 no-grab
 default-cache-ttl 1800

 gpg.conf

Code:
  grep -v ^# gpg.conf | grep -v ^$
 require-cross-certification
 keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
 hidden-encrypt-to 0219F045
 hidden-encrypt-to 18BA2C46
 default-recipient 0219F045
 default-recipient 18BA2C46
 use-agent

 reader access works
 gpg --card-status

Code:

   Application ID ...: D276000124010101000100000AA60000
 Version ..........: 1.1
 Manufacturer .....: PPC Card Systems

 I tried those variations of useflags settings

Code:
  emerge -tpv gnupg
 Calculating dependencies... done!
 [ebuild   R   ] app-crypt/gnupg-2.0.2  USE="X nls
smartcard -bzip2 -doc -ldap -openct -pcsc-lite (-selinux)" 0 kB

 emerge -tpv gnupg

 These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

 Calculating dependencies... done!
 [ebuild   R   ] app-crypt/gnupg-2.0.2  USE="X nls pcsc-lite
smartcard -bzip2 -doc -ldap -openct (-selinux)" 0 kB

 gpg-agent is running

Code:
  ps ax | grep agent
 23837 ?        Ss     0:00 gpg-agent --daemon

 installed software

Code:
   app-crypt/gnupg
       Latest version available: 2.0.2
       Latest version installed: 2.0.2
       Size of files: 3,876 kB
       Homepage:      http://www.gnupg.org/
       License:       GPL-2

  app-crypt/pinentry
       Latest version available: 0.7.2-r2
       Latest version installed: 0.7.2-r2
       Size of files: 389 kB
       Homepage:      http://www.gnupg.org/aegypten/
which utilize the Assuan protocol
       License:       GPL-2

 sys-apps/pcsc-lite
       Latest version available: 1.3.1-r1
       Latest version installed: 1.3.1-r1
       Size of files: 822 kB
       Homepage:      http://www.linuxnet.com/middle.html
       License:       as-is

 sys-libs/libchipcard
       Latest version available: 2.1.8
       Latest version installed: 2.1.8
       Size of files: 974 kB
       Homepage:      http://www.libchipcard.de
via chip card readers (terminals).
       License:       GPL-2

 *  dev-libs/opensc
       Latest version available: 0.10.1
       Latest version installed: 0.10.1
       Size of files: 1,275 kB
       Homepage:      http://www.opensc.org/
       License:       LGPL-2

 *  dev-libs/openct
       Latest version available: 0.6.6
       Latest version installed: 0.6.6
       Size of files: 550 kB
       Homepage:      http://opensc.org/
       License:       BSD

 Does the external pinpad in between work at all under linux ?
 If ubuntu is configured that way, so pins are still enterd by the regular
keybord, how do I configure it the same with gentoo ?
Do I have to change my software/configuration ?

 Any hints will be appreciated