Use same key for S/MIME and OpenPGP

Raphaël Poss mail at raphael.poss.name
Mon Feb 19 23:45:56 CET 2007

Hi all,

I'm just curious: since a RSA public key is made mainly of just two
numbers, is it not possible (theoretically) to create both a valid
PGP key and X509 certificate using the same key information, and use
it with both protocols?

Also, is it not (theoretically) possible to convert X509 key
certificates to PGP key signatures or vice-versa, based on the
numerical values of the signing certificates/keys ?

If not, I would be interested to know what are the technical
limitations.

Thanks in advance for any insight,

--
Raphael