Available and default options

Dan Tipton dan_yt555 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 23:15:10 CET 2007

Hello,

I have a question about how GPG assigns default
preferences to a key. When I check the version I get a
list of supported ciphers, digests, etc:

Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256,
TWOFISH
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

But then when I create a key with the default settings
& do a showpref, the key doesn't include all supported

Cipher: AES256, AES192, AES, CAST5, 3DES
Digest: SHA1, RIPEMD160
Compression: ZLIB, ZIP, Uncompressed

It seems to me that the key should include all the
options it is capable of using.

I know I can add all of these options but why aren't
they there by default?

Thanks,

Dan