SmartCards and Debian Lenny

Henry Bremridge henry.bremridge at xobie.com
Sat Jun 2 17:42:33 CEST 2007

Last night my system was updated

cron-apt: Setting up libccid (1.3.0-1) ...
cron-apt: Installing new version of config file /etc/reader.conf.d/libccidtwin ...
cron-apt: Installing new version of config file /etc/libccid_Info.plist ...
cron-apt: Installing new version of config file /etc/udev/pcscd_ccid.rules ...
cron-apt: Restarting PCSC Lite resource manager: pcscd.

Since then on trying to access my smart card (SCR335) I get the following

$ gpg --card-status
winscard_msg.c:97:SHMClientSetupSession() Error: connect to client socket: No such file or directory
gpg: pcsc_establish_context failed: no service (0x8010001d)
gpg: card reader not available
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: general error

I have removed and added all the files specified in http://www.fsfe.org/en/card/howto/card_reader_howto_udev and in particular
-   libpcsclite-dev
-   libpcsclite1
-   pcscd