[Fwd: Re: decrypt and secret key location]

Bruno Costacurta pubmb01 at skynet.be
Mon Jun 4 22:41:06 CEST 2007

On Monday 04 June 2007 21:38, Andrew Berg wrote:
> Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> > Hello, I received an encrypted file called 'test.asc' (recipient is
> > correct, hereafter it is truncated) but trying to decrypt it I have
> > following error :
> >
> > gpg --decrypt test.asc gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG-E key, ID
> > 0CC897B5, created 2006-06-11 "Bruno Costacurta
> > <bruno at __nospam_here__org>" gpg: decryption failed: secret key not
> > available
> >
> > Is it only key location? If so, how / where can I indicate my
> > private key location ? If not, what type of problem ?
>
> Your secret key should be in ~./gnupg/secring.gpg. If you ran GPG from
> the command line and don't have homedir explicitly overwritten, that's
> where it is created when you generate a new key pair.
>
> If you run gpg --help, what does it say is the home directory?
> If you run gpg -K, are any keys listed?
> If you run gpg --list-keys, is your public key listed?

Thanks for your attention.
However my GPG setup looks fine:

/home/bruno: gpg -K
/home/bruno/.gnupg/secring.gpg
------------------------------
sec   1024D/2E604D51 2006-06-11
uid                  Bruno Costacurta <bruno at __nospam_here__org>
uid                  Bruno Costacurta <pubmb01 at skynet.be>

/home/bruno: gpg --list-keys 0x2e604d51
pub   1024D/2E604D51 2006-06-11
uid                  Bruno Costacurta <bruno at __nospam_here__org>
uid                  Bruno Costacurta <cob1 at biz.tiscali.be>
uid                  Bruno Costacurta <contract at __nospam_here__org>
uid                  Bruno Costacurta <pubmb01 at skynet.be>
sub   2048g/0CC897B5 2006-06-11

Thanks for any clue.
Bye,