decrypt : primary key or subkey ?

Bruno Costacurta pubmb01 at skynet.be
Thu Jun 14 08:39:03 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 18:04:08 David Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 05:18:54PM +0200, Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> > I think that the problem came few months ago : as I changed computer
> > I exported secret key only, but not secret-subkey. And so I
> > installed the keyring but without secret part of my subkey on my
> > current computer.
> >
> > Question: An export-secret should be followed by a
> > export-secret-subkey ?  Correct ?
>
> No. --export-secret exports the whole secret key, including subkeys.
> --export-secret-subkeys exports ONLY the subkeys, and is likely not
> what you want.
>
> David

Humm...so I can definitely not explain why my subkey was unable to decrypt
message as secret key was not found. Remind: signature validation works fine.
Anyway this not-working key is now revoked...
...and now what is the best way to create / add a new subkey with encryption /
decryption capabilities (under Linux) ?

Thanks.
Bruno

PGP key ID: 0x2e604d51
Key : http://www.costacurta.org/keys/bruno_costacurta_pgp_key.html
Key fingerprint = 713F 7956 9441 7DEF 58ED  1951 7E07 569B 2E60 4D51