RSA 4096 ridiculous?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jun 20 11:36:55 CEST 2007

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 05:14, hhhobbit at securemecca.net said:

> It took me infinitely longer to type the pass-phrase for the signing
> than it took to actually create the sigs which seemed to be almost
> instantaneous. Timing the signing is sort of ridiculous unless I used

That is true for your desktop box.  However, for small devices like PDAs
a 4k RSA key is a lot of work.  The problem might not be the generation
or verification of a single signature but some of use have hundreds of
signatures on their key and checking them all will take a lot of time.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner