If the message is encrypted symmetrically...

Joseph Oreste Bruni jbruni at mac.com
Wed Jun 20 20:38:38 CEST 2007

Gotcha. The public key does not "generate" the key. I'm going to walk
through the process again, so please bear with me.

I'm going to send you a message.

GPG creates a random key from a source of entropy such as /dev/
random. This key is used in a symmetric cipher such as AES128 to
encrypt my message.

This symmetric KEY is then ENCRYPTED using your public key and
attached to the end of the message.

When you receive the message, you use your private key to DECRYPT the
symmetric key and then use the symmetric key to decrypt the message.

Since only your private key can decrypt the attached symmetric key,
only you can subsequently decrypt the message.