If the message is encrypted symmetrically...

Joseph Oreste Bruni jbruni at mac.com
Wed Jun 20 20:47:37 CEST 2007

Correct. If I'm sending a message that I want protected, I hash the
contents with something like SHA-1. I encrypt this hash with my
private key and attach the encrypted hash to the document.

Recipients can then compute their own hash of the document, decrypt
the attached, encrypted hash using my public key, and compare the
results. If the hashes match, the document is good, and non-
repudiation has been established since it was encrypted with MY
private key.

To extend our discussion, suppose I wish to send an encrypted message
to multiple recipients. I would then encrypt the (randomly generated)
symmetric key to each recipient's public key in turn. All of the
encrypted copies (of the symmetric key) are attached. A valid
recipient will be able to encrypt his (and only his) copy of the
symmetric key and then decrypt the document.