Importing backed up card generated key

James Davis james at freecharity.org.uk
Fri Jun 22 12:11:45 CEST 2007

James Davis wrote:

> Sorry to bring up this thread again but I've still not been able to work
> out what I should be doing and I'd appreciate any help you can give me
> as it's holding back my adoption of the smart card.

I'm making a little progress on this. Someone suggested it was because
gpg was confused by the existing secret key it believed was on the card
but deleting my secret key before trying to import it from the backup
didn't help.

I can use the backed up key using

--secret-keyring ~/sk_B6D49AF9C7335BD1.gpg

and copying sk_B6D49AF9C7335BD1.gpg over ~/.gnupg/secring.gpg works too
but neither are entirely practical. I've got other secret keys which I'd
like to avoid overwriting if it's just my card I've lost. I thoguht I
could do something like

$ gpg -a --secret-keyring ~/sk_B6D49AF9C7335BD1.gpg --export-secret-key
C7335BD1 > mysecretkey.asc but again I end up with a secret key that gpg
refuses to import with an error "gpg: key C7335BD1: no user ID".

Is there some way I can force a user ID upon gpg when I import the key?

James

--
http://www.freecharity.org.uk/ - Free IT services for charities
http://www.freecharity.org.uk/wiki/ - The VCSWiki