Two questions

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Fri Jun 22 19:49:16 CEST 2007

Andrew Berg wrote:
> 1. Why is it using RIPEMD160, when my preference is SHA256?

Ummm,

a) A 160 bit hash is required by whatever it is you are doing and RIPEMD160
   has a higher preference than SHA-1 under your present preference list

and/or

b) You have not explicitly enabled DSA2 hash generation with 'enable-dsa2'

> 2. How do I make the key ID "Andrew Berg" mean my newer key for this
> address instead of my older one (bahamut at madhatt.com)?

GnuPG will use the first key that matches the key ID supplied as it, presently
(subject to change) sequentially reads the keyring files.

If you have multiple keys that match a given search term, ie "Andrew Berg", then
the easiest way to avoid ambiguity is to refer to the keys via the short
hexadecimal key ID, eg 0xdecafbad.

There is a place on the 'OpenPGP Security' tab within Account Settings in
Thunderbird, to tell Enigmail to use a specific key ID rather than matching a
key via email address.

You also may wish to specify the new key as the default-key along with various
other helpful settings in gpg.conf.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10/0x18BB373A

"Just how do the residents of Haiku, Hawai'i hold conversations?"