problem using encryption

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Sat Jun 23 02:25:21 CEST 2007

Ashutosh N Sharma wrote:
> We installed gnupg 1.4.7 on Sun Solaris SPARC 8.
> Generated the keys also.

> bash-2.03$ gpg --gen-key --verbose
> bash-2.03$ gpg --gen-key --verbose
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.7; Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.
>
> gpg: WARNING: using insecure memory!
> gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html for more information
> Please select what kind of key you want:
>    (1) DSA and Elgamal (default)
>    (2) DSA (sign only)
>    (5) RSA (sign only)

The default DSA/Elgamal combination allows you to create a 4096-bit encryption
key. But anyway...

gpg --expert --gen-key
Please select what kind of key you want:
   (1) DSA and Elgamal (default)
   (2) DSA (sign only)
   (3) DSA (set your own capabilities)
   (5) RSA (sign only)
   (7) RSA (set your own capabilities)
Your selection?

7

You need Certify, Sign, and Encrypt capabilities which is the default
configuration. Enter Q to continue the process. Be nice, use your real name as
part of the UserID creation.

When you go to encrypt, provide the keyID you wish to encrypt to, eg 0xdecafbad.
The key generation process will tell you the key ID; ie, in the email you sent,
the key ID was 2D64B2BE.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10/0x18BB373A

"Just how do the residents of Haiku, Hawai'i hold conversations?"