[Macgpg-users] 1.4.7 packages for OS X

Joseph Oreste Bruni jbruni at mac.com
Mon Mar 12 20:48:36 CET 2007

It wouldn't make sense to try to package GPG using a .app bundle
since GPG itself will most often be used from the command line. As
such, you would need to update your PATH environment variable to
include a deep reference to something like "/Applications/GnuPG/
Content/MacOS/gpg" instead of the normal location for user-installed
tools (/usr/local). In addition, if you did run it by double-clicking
what would that give you since there is no graphical user interface
and using the tool is done via command-line options?

If you really need a GUI to use GPG, trying installing one of the
many interfaces referenced from http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/. Those
are packaged as .app bundles and make sense to run via the Finder.

-Joe

PS: I noticed this message thread was being cross-posted to both
macgpg-users and gnupg-users. I'm not sure that's good etiquette, but
I'm replying to both for continuity.