GnuPG incompatible with windows-vista ?

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.net
Wed Mar 14 00:50:29 CET 2007

David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:12:58AM -0600, Andrew Berg wrote:
>
>>>I think that this problem came up before, and that one has to rename
>>>gpgkeys_hkp.exe to gpgkeys_curl.exe (or was it the other way around?; I
>>can't remember).
>

> This will fix HKP, but remove the ability to use HTTP.  Better to
> fix the bug here.

I don't know whether that is so much of a bug as a %PATH% problem.
Try adding the following to your %PATH% variable:

REM ADD THIS TO YOUR %PATH% HKLM entry (copy & paste):

;%ProgramFiles%\GNU\GnuPG

Getting to where to do it (just hope Vista is same):

Start -> Control Panel -> System   (double click)
  {Advanced}   (tab)
    [Environment Variables]   (button)

Select PATH in the System variables and tack the addition suggested
on to the end of it and see if that works. The fine points of these
instructions go for W2K, XP, and 2003 Server. Vista may have
changed how to get to things.  It will NOT change the fact that
adding stuff to the %PATH% cures LOTS of problems.

If you do that, and the problem still isn't fixed, THEN we have a bug.
A lot of people have been saying this or that won't work with Vista.
The appropriate additions to the %PATH% or the setting of other
environment variables usually fixes their problem.  OTOH, I haven't
seen their changes to the Registry.  I am still using REG4 *.reg
files (which will work up through 2003 Server) if that tells you
anything.

HHH