PGP Desktop and GPG

Bruce Cowin bdc at topenergy.co.nz
Thu Mar 15 02:28:31 CET 2007

Thanks David.  But if I'm only encrypting files for others (and not decrypting any), then I only need to export their public key, right?  My private key doesn't come into it, does it?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Bruce

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 10:45:27AM +1300, Bruce Cowin wrote:

> If I have generated a key using PGP Desktop, would I be able to
> import and use that key with GnuPG?  Our subscription to PGP Desktop
> is about to expire and it says the functionality will be reduced to
> that of PGP Freeware.  All we do with it is encrypt files (not
> emails), so I think this is ok.  I'm not sure if the PGP Desktop gui
> interface will stop working or not, so thought we could use GnuPG
> and Gpg4Win which we currently use on another project to replace PGP
> Desktop.

The short answer is yes, any key you generate with a roughly recent
PGP Desktop can be used with GnuPG, and vice versa.  Just export it
from one (remember to export the secret key too) and import it into
the other.

David