Old PC as Hardware Security Module?

Casey Jones groups at caseyljones.net
Mon May 14 14:28:40 CEST 2007

Sven Radde wrote:
> Casey Jones schrieb:
>> Does anyone know of software available to make an old PC into something
>> like a hardware security module.
>
> What about Knoppix?
> It supports GnuPG and you can easily have your keys on a (dedicated) USB
> drive while booting your (regular or dedicated) PC with Knoppix to do
> crypto operations.

Yes, I'll probably do something like that for a while. It's less
convenient because I'll have to be transferring files back and forth
manually. But if used with a removeable drive, it would probably be more
secure than having it plugged into my main computer by ethernet or
serial cable. Especially if I compose and read encrypted messages on it
as well.