[Confusion] distinction between the 2 versions 1.4.6 & 2.0.3 & how to make the key compliant with 2.0.3

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 08:22:58 CEST 2007

Hi all,
        I made my personal  key in Ubuntu 7.04 by the default gpg
--gen key command. I use. Then to use it, was using firepg  to sign
it. Firepg kept telling me that the signature is not valid. Thinking
it was an issue with the extension per-se made a post about the same
in firepg & was consequently banned. Although there was no explanation
given but that's another matter.
http://firegpg.tuxfamily.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=108

 Fishing around my own system came to the conclusion that I was using
a non-compatible version of the gnupg with the extension.

 gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.6

>From the site http://www.gnupg.org/
GnuPG comes in two flavours: 1.4.7  is the well known and portable
standalone version, whereas 2.0.4  is the enhanced and somewhat harder
to build version.

 Installed the new version gnupg 2.0.3 (which is supported in Ubuntu
at this point in time) .
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/feisty/+source/gnupg2 .

 Now my query is how can I make the key I have already made 2.0.3
compatible. Looking for easy instructions.  Also looked at few mirrors
and http://webber.dewinter.com/gnupg_howto/english/GPGMiniHowto.txt
not just this one but all manuals which point to webber.dewinter.com
are down.

Lastly, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnuPrivacyGuardHowto is in
someways my baby as I have contribute quite a large part into the doc.
Feel free to point out any mistakes. Any help with the above will also
be finding its way into the doc. Rest assured.
--
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17