[Confusion] distinction between the 2 versions 1.4.6 & 2.0.3

Casey Jones groups at caseyljones.net
Thu May 17 13:36:01 CEST 2007

shirish wrote:
>>  Please lemme know how to proceed further. We can also take this
>> off-list if you feel to be more appropriate. I don't know how the list
>> would look at this.

This is the gnupg-users mailing list and we are discussing the basics of
how to "use" gnupg so I think this is appropriate for the list.

shirish wrote:
>  I have substituted my keyid with the general keyid. Don't know if its safe to
> give out my keyid or not?

> 065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

So you've got firepg working with GnuPG v2.0.3 under Linux?

There's no need to keep your key ID secret, your key ID is embedded at
the end of the fingerprint above that you've made public so you cant
keep it secret now anyway. Also, your public key has already been
uploaded to a keyserver, so it's public now too. That's good.

It looks like on the firepg forum you posted that you are using a
nightly build. Nightly builds are generally not for beginners and
frequently have many bugs. You're apparently still learning the basics
of command line switches, so you should definitely be using only a
"release" version.

If it says your secret key is not available, check that your keys are
available with the following command:

gpg --list-secret-keys

I think it should list your key with the ID 729A8B17

If it doesn't then what error does it give? Are you doing this on
Windows or Ubuntu? Did you say you were trying to copy your private key
from Linux to Windows? I don't know where you should put your
secring.gpg file in windows. Try searching your hard drive for
trustdb.gpg or pubring.gpg or gpg.conf. You should probably put your
secring.gpg file in the same folder as the trustdb.gpg file. Or look in
the documentation for where the files are supposed to go. If for some
reason there is already a secring.gpg file on your Windows box that's
different than the one on your Linux box, then don't overwrite it, just
rename it to something like secring.gpg.win before putting the
secring.gpg file from your Linux box into the folder on your Windows box.