Printing Keys and using OCR.

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Sat May 19 19:55:55 CEST 2007

David Shaw wrote:

>They're certainly advertised to (I've seen some pretty incredible
>claims of 100 years or more), but in practice it doesn't really work
>out that way.  The manufacturing of the media, the burn quality, the
>burner quality, the storage, etc, all have an impact on how long an
>optical disc will last.  Some tests show that you're lucky to get 10
>years.

Well, I'm able to do some tests now with old backup CD's. All my old
backups are still perfectly readable, the oldest being from February
1998. I'll keep testing.

With modern equipment, not burning discs with maximum speed seems to
help.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html