Problems using SCR335 and gnupgp

James Davis james at freecharity.org.uk
Tue May 22 12:11:58 CEST 2007

I've recently bought a SCR335 card reader and gnupg smartcard. I'm
having difficulties getting the card reader working on my Debian 4.0
system with gnupg 1.4.6

I've followed the instructions at
http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/howtos/card-howto/en/smartcard-howto.html but
running --card-status gives the following error.

# gpg --card-status
winscard_clnt.c:3232:SCardCheckDaemonAvailability() PCSC Not Running
gpg: pcsc_establish_context failed: no service (0x8010001d)
gpg: card reader not available
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: general error

dmesg gives the following on unplugging and replugging in the reader

usb 5-3.2: USB disconnect, address 7
usb 5-3.2: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
usb 5-3.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

and lsusb correctly shows the reader

cressida:~# lsusb
Bus 005 Device 008: ID 04e6:5115 SCM Microsystems, Inc. SCR335 SmartCard
Reader

Any idea on where I should be looking to solve my problem?

Thanks,

James
--
http://www.freecharity.org.uk/ - Free IT services for charities