Re-establish keys

Robert J. Hansen rjh at
Thu May 31 20:40:40 CEST 2007

> My public key is on the MIT PGP server.    I know my passphrase.   So
> how do I reestablish my keys on the newly reformatted hard drive, in
> order to decrypt my files?

You don't.

It is computationally infeasible to recover a private key from only a  
public key.  The key server has half your keypair.  To derive the  
other half would require radical breakthroughs in mathematics and  
computer science, and/or access to time and energy on a truly cosmic  

Robert J. Hansen <rjh at>

"Most people are never thought about after they're gone.  'I wonder
where Rob got the plutonium?' is better than most get." -- Phil Munson

More information about the Gnupg-users mailing list