professionalism, was Re: PGP messages getting flagged as spam

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 14:07:23 CEST 2007

On 10/18/07, Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> wrote:
> With proprietary software, you're mostly stuck relying on your vendor
> for information.  Compare "Microsoft says that IIS will scale up to our
> server load with our current server configuration" to "the Apache
> Foundation isn't making any promises, but I've had Apache running for
> the last month on a test server and it's performing flawlessly."
>
> The first statement's source is Microsoft.  Their method is presumably
> their own internal testing.

Why wouldn't you set up a test lab with the Microsoft products as
well? They offer zero-cost trial and developer editions of their
products for that express purpose.

You should never rely on the word of a vendor if there is an
alternative. You can always find proprietary vendors that will give
you a trial of some sort. At my company, we've had months-long trial
installations of $1M+ vertical market software packages before signing
any agreement to purchase.

--
   RPM