Key safety vs Backup : History of a bad day (key-restoration problem)

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Sun Oct 28 12:35:06 CET 2007

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> Atom Smasher wrote:
>> i wouldn't generally advocate a vernam cipher for encrypting messages,
>> but i think it is the best real-world-practical way to do secret
>> sharing (at least until someone builds an application that ~uses~ a
>> real secret sharing algorithm).
>
> See _The Art of Computer Programming_, Volume 2, section 4.6.4,
> "Evaluation of Polynomials".  In my copy it's on page 505; YMMV if you
> have a different edition.  Knuth characterizes it as "an important and
> somewhat surprising application of polynomial interpolation", as well as
> "amazingly simple".
>
> I can vouch for the "amazingly simple" part.  I volunteer at a local
> elementary school and help teach their talented-and-gifted fourth
> graders.  One of the first things we do each year is go over the Shamir
> protocol.
>
> PGP Corporation also uses it to divide up key shares, if I recall
> correctly.
=================

would that be the same PGP(tm) Corporation that, last i checked, made
source code available for review but only licensed the use of pre-compiled
binaries? i hate to sound paranoid (hhmm, actually i don't mind anymore)
but where's the open source application(s) that do that? especially if
it's so easy.

--
         ...atom

  http://atom.smasher.org/
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"This is Radio Clash
 	 On pirate satellite
 	 Orbiting your living room
 	 Everybody hold on tight"