old question: invalid trustdb (workarounds on the Internet doesn't work for me)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Sep 4 09:11:54 CEST 2007

On Mon,  3 Sep 2007 13:44, zhangweiwu at realss.com said:

> workstation + Gentoo Linux. For the years I moved to many different
> workstations, I always copy this folder to new workstations and it
> always worked. The last workstation working with this .gnupg directory
> is running SuSE 10.0

That is just fine the foramt of all files is architecture independent.

> zhangweiwu at esmeralda:~$ gpg --list-keys
> gpg: 0: read expected rec type 1, got 42
> gpg: fatal: /home/zhangweiwu/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: invalid trustdb

Well, it is for some reasons corrupted.  By deleting the trustdb you
will only lose the `ownertrust' values which tell gpg how much you trust
keys owners to correctly sign other keys.
(--{export,import}-ownerstrust is used for backing up these)

> (e.g. some say I should try export trustdb using 1.0.4 but actually I

Well we change the internal format of some file with 1.0.7; the script
convert-from-106 fixes this.

> gpg: [don't know]: indeterminate length for invalid packet type 13
> gpg: keydb_search_first failed: invalid packet

Are you sure that you copied the keys correctly.  The "13" may be an
indication that you forgot to switch the ftp client to binary mode - if
you used FTP.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner