RSA or DSA? That's the question

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Sep 6 14:11:10 CEST 2007

Noiano wrote:
> to choose and why. Is it one more secure than the other? I don't think
> so but I think there are some difference that make one algorithm
> suitable for some uses than the other.

Not really.  Some places have to conform with regulations or laws which
might demand RSA.  Some people may want to use smart cards, which have
historically been RSA-only.  Some people may... etc., etc.

If you have a specific need to use RSA, and you can articulate both the
need and why it's a need all in a single sentence, then use RSA.
Otherwise, you're far better off sticking with the defaults.