RSA or DSA? That's the question

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Sep 6 17:50:46 CEST 2007

On Thu,  6 Sep 2007 14:26, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> E.g., it took MD5 almost a decade to go from a purely academic break to
> an actual collision, but it took SHA-1 under a year.

I have not heard of a SHA-1 collision yet.  IIRC it still takes
something in the range of 2^60.

I should not have talked about hash functions as they are a bad example
because in the past there has not been much research compared to
symmetric and public key encryption.  OTOH, the improvement in breaking
public key schemes are foreseeable for quite some time now and thus we
can estimate how long it will take to break an n-bit key.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner