Surprising gnupg-agent action with OpenPGP card

John A. Martin jam at jamux.com
Fri Sep 14 15:03:51 CEST 2007

    wk> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:39, jam at jamux.com said: o
    >> With 'use-agent' in ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf both 'gpg --card-status'
    >> and 'gpg2 --card-status' show the same information from when a
    >> card is inserted and thereafter even when the card is removed,
    >> replaced by another card, and even after the reader is
    >> disconnected.
    >>
    >> Is the above the expected behavior?

    wk> No.  I justed tested it with 2.0.7 and can't replicate it.  I
    wk> can't remember tha we fixed such a bug since 2.0.6.  However I
    wk> am using the internal card driver.  Are you using pcsclite;
    wk> i.e. is pcscd running?

I'm using the internal driver.  No pcsclite.  Experimenting with
pcsclite (Debian package libpcsclite1) did not help so I purged it.

Just now, running without 'use-agent' in ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf, I noticed
that just after 'gpg --card-status' gives the expected result I see
the following:

,----[ gpg --use-agent --card-status ]
gpg: selecting openpgp failed: unknown command
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: general error
`----

Then 'gpg --card-status' gives the expected result but then after that
I see:

,----[ gpg2 --card-status ]
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: Unknown IPC command
`----

I get the similar but not identical results on a Dubian etch box with
the following:

	gnupg           1.4.6-2
	gnupg-agent     2.0.0-5.2
	gnupg2          2.0.0-5.2
	gnusm           2.0.0-5.2
	gpgv            1.4.6-2
	libgpg-error0   1.4-1
	python-gnupgin  8.3.2-9

On the etch box, 'gpg2 --card-status' gives something like:

        gpg: DBG: connection to agent established
        gpg: OpenPGP card not available: Unsupported operation

when the immediately preceding 'gpg --card-status' gave the expected
result.  Without 'use-agent' in ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf and before doing
'gpg --use-agent --card-status' I did not notice any difference
between the two boxen.

What can I do to better isolate or characterize this problem?

        jam