gpgsm and Kmail and X509 certificates

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Fri Sep 21 07:19:15 CEST 2007

Hello again Werner,

This info is in addition to my recent email of today.

I have been reading the HowTo at
http://kontact.kde.org/kmail/kmail-pgpmime-howto.php
and I am wondering if the F7 package for KDEPIM has been built without
all the prerequisites to enable X509 certificate support in Kmail.
e.g.
libgpgme is not installed.
libpth or libpth-devel is not installed.
libcrypt and libcrypt-devel are not installed.
libassuan and libassuan-devel are not installed.
kwatchgnupg is not installed

These are all listed as prerequisites in the HowTo to get it all working.

Most of the *.conf files in ~/.gnupg are there but have no entries in them.
KDEPIM is kdepim-3.5.6-4.fc7

It seems strange that kdepim is installed *without* all the necessary
prerequisites.

My system is F7.

What is your advice? BTW. I can list my secret keys using gpg
--list-secret-keys (or -K) but not gpgsm --list-secret-keys (or -K). Is
it possible that only gpgsm is broken? (missing prerequisites)?

Werner Koch wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 02:49, gnichols at tpg.com.au said:
>
>> [graeme at barney ~]$ gpgsm -K
>> /home/graeme/.gnupg/pubring.kbx
>> -------------------------------
>> gpgsm: DBG: connection to agent established
>> secmem usage: 0/16384 bytes in 0 blocks
>> [graeme at barney ~]$
>>> this should show you your own certificates
>> It didn't as you can see.
>
> With own certificates I meant, Your certifciate plus your private key.
>
> Did you import the key at all?
>
>> [graeme at barney ~]$ gpgsm --passwd gnichols at tpg.com.au
>> gpgsm: DBG: connection to agent established
>> gpgsm: error changing passphrase: No such file or directory
>
> That means that your private key does not exists.  To manually check
> this do:
>
>   gpgsm --dump-key 2D:0D:02:D5:2E:0F:D9:C7:31:48:C8:A2:63:13:6F:AD:C7:21:27:34
>
> Youy will notice a line
>
>   keygrip: <40-hex-digits>
>
> then check whether a file
>
>   ~/.gnupg/private-keys-v1.d/<40-hex-digits>.key
>
> exists. It does not and this is the reason you see "No such file or
> directory" (Well, it should better read "No such secret key").
>
> You need to get your private key as a pkcs#12 file and import it into
> gpgsm
>
>   gpgsm --import foo.p12
>

> Salam-Shalom,
>
>    Werner

Kind regards,

Graeme.
Download my GnuPG public key from:-
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/gnichols/graemenichols.pub

There is nothing which cannot be answered by means of my doctrine," said
a monk, coming into a teahouse where Nasrudin sat.
	"And yet just a short time ago, I was challenged by a scholar with an
unanswerable question," said Nasrudin.
	"I could have answered it if I had been there."
	"Very well.  He asked, 'Why are you breaking into my house in
the middle of the night?'"