sign a public key ?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Apr 4 17:45:03 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 08:50:34PM +0200, Phibee Network Operation Center wrote:
> Hi
>
> i use this for crypt a tar archives:
>
> /usr/bin/gpg --recipient Stefan --encrypt /tmp/backup.tgz
>
> i use the public key of stefan for crypt, but when i start
> he request all time a "o" (Yes) and say me (sorry in french) :

You have several options here.

If you know that the key is valid (say, if you met Stefan), then you
can sign the key which tells the system that you know it is the right
key.  This will prevent GPG from asking you about it.

  gpg --sign-key Stefan     (sign publically - signature can be
      		 	     exported for others to use)
or
  gpg --lsign-key Stefan    (sign locally - signature is local to you)

Alternately, you can tell GPG to not ask the question at all.  This is
less good, but is still appropriate for certain uses where you know
the key is the right one.

  gpg --trust-model always

David