GnuPG v2.x?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Apr 9 21:44:22 CEST 2008

Paul wrote:
> So, I wondered, if KMail was the only MUA tested, then saying it is
> the only one that passed seems like a bit of semantic trickery,
> inferring, as it does, that others failed.

[sigh]

If you're going to misquote someone, at least do it accurately.  The
original poster's exact words were "is the only Free Software
implementation of S/MIME that has passed the Sphinx interoperability tests."

The parse is ambiguous.  You can read it as meaning "only one Free
Software implementation was submitted to Sphinx, and it passed".  You
can read it as "other Free Software implementations were submitted to
Sphinx, and only KMail passed".

Or you can do what I do, which is recognize that it's an ambiguous
parse, and assume that the person speaking is a reasonable human being
who is probably not engaging in semantic trickery.  Accusing people of
malfeasance when there is no clear evidence any occurred is a
McCarthyism into which I do not wish to fall.

Ingo is a reasonable human being.