Problem with Windows binaries

Brad Morrow jbmaz at cox.net
Wed Apr 16 15:57:52 CEST 2008

I am a new GPG user.  I have looked everywhere (manuals, bug site, mailing
lists, Google search, etc.) for information on this error, but have been
unsuccessful.  My guess is that there is a simple solution to such a basic
error right out of the chute, but I need some help finding that answer.
Could someone please help me learn how to navigate through this?

I downloaded the GPG4Win binaries (gpg4win-1.1.3.exe).  I have installed
everything in the package including GnuPG2 and Claws-Mail on three of my
computers and have not encountered any issues.  Unfortunately, however, I am
having a show stopper on the one computer that needs to have this up and
running the most.

After installation I get an error when I try to create the first key pair
using WinPT, GPA or the gpg command line.  It does not seem to matter what
options I use during the gpg -gen-key process.  They all error out in the
same fashion:

"Unhandled exception at 0x0210342a in gpg.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation
reading location 0x0210342a."

When using GPA it follows with the following error:

"The GPGME library returned an unexpected error.  The error was:

General error

This is probably a bug in GPA.  GPA will now try to recover from this
error."

Here is some basic system configuration information on the machine that is
not working:

System Information report written at: 04/16/08 06:43:13

 [System Summary]

Item      Value

OS Name          Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer           Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer     ASUS

System Model   Canterwood+ICH5

System Type     X86-based PC

Processor         x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~2405 Mhz

Processor         x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~2405 Mhz

Processor         x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~2405 Mhz

Processor         x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~2405 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date        Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS PC-DL ACPI BIOS
Revision 1008, 11/15/2004

SMBIOS Version           2.3

Windows Directory        C:\WINDOWS

System Directory          C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device      \Device\HarddiskVolume9

Locale  United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer       Version = "5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

Total Physical Memory  2,048.00 MB

Total Virtual Memory      2.00 GB

Page File Space            3.85 GB