Naming of GnuPG

Hideki Saito hidekis at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 03:30:30 CEST 2008

Hello David,
As for 1.4.x / 2.0.x naming thing, what I meant is that I don't think it
necessary confusing. (although, I know a case that one got confused
whether he should download 1.4.8 or 2.0.8; but this person was on
Windows, so it wasn't too much of problem, as there weren't any choices.)
A lot of general public might think, however, higher the version, more
features (which in GnuPG case, it is true), and perhaps less buggy, etc.
And also there are many programs out there, which has version number
inferior put into "maintenance mode" with only vulnerability fixes being
conducted, which certainly not the case with GnuPG, as new features and
enhancements are being introduced to it.
It was just my opinion, that if having 1.4.x and 2.0.x is about making
choices available for standalone OpenPGP, and integrated solution with
S/MIME, I just felt it makes sense more to have similar versioning
scheme as I assume, that capability of OpenPGP part would be identical
or similar to their 2.0.x counterpart.
Cheers,
--
Hideki Saito