Miscellaneous questions

Michel Messerschmidt lists at michel-messerschmidt.de
Thu Apr 24 07:56:02 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 02:59:40AM +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Of course we could even discuss what's part of the name?! What about
> academic titles like "Dr." or "PhD", stuff from monarchy (OBE, Sir,
> Dame, HRH, Prince, etc.) religious "titles" like "PP", "Cardinal", etc.?

What about second/third ... names, name changes (e.g. marriage),
offical pseudonyms (e.g. artist names in Germany), ... ?

> Despite of the fact, that it's difficutl to decide what's a complete
> name, I (= my opinion) think, that signers should have a look on
> completeness.
> The reason: As a mathematicion I consider incompleteness as
> incorrectness, that's even what OpenPGP (and actually every digital
> signature system) does: If you "just" remove something from the signed
> data, signatures won't validate.

I think you're confusing the "completeness" of the identity with the
complete name.
Although commonly used, a name is not a good measure for identity.
For example, I have different spellings of my name on different
official ID cards :)

If you require a mathematical completeness, use the key ID.
If used for mail encryption/signatures it makes no sense to be more
strict than for the email address itself.

Michel