Miscellaneous questions

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Thu Apr 24 15:34:52 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 08:45:02AM -0400, dan at geer.org wrote:
> My reply is probably very nearly pedantic, but the question
> raised is a venerable one:  Do you want your system to be
> name-centric or key-centric.  A name-centric system is one
> where the name is the identity, per se, and the key is an
> attribute of that name.

Well, if you want to be pedantic (and I think this is a good place for
it), no object can be an identity.  An identity is a testable
relationship among collections of objects, such as "(1+1) = 2".  A
given object may be part of many identities -- for example, (4/2) = 2.

A name or a key may *label* a particular identity.  So your question
perhaps should be:  which set of labels do you want to use?

This is why I keep banging on about what a binding *means*, or what
you want to prove.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he