Naming of GnuPG

Dirk Traulsen dirk.traulsen at lypso.de
Sat Apr 26 08:54:52 CEST 2008

Am 21 Apr 2008 um 9:43 hat David Shaw geschrieben:

> On Apr 21, 2008, at 9:30 AM, Mark H. Wood wrote:
>
> > So, GnuPG 1.4 implements OpenPGP.  GnuPG 2.0 implements OpenPGP
> > and S/MIME.
> >
> > So 2.0 is "better" than 1.4 if you need S/MIME, otherwise not.
> >
> > So, perhaps 1.4 should be GnuPG and 2.0 should be GnuPG-Plus.
> > (Please, no "++"!)
>
> How about:
>
> 1.4 == GnuPG Classic
> 2.0 == GnuPG Plus
>
> David

As gpg2 seems to generate a lot of confusion, I second the renaming to
make the different purposes as clear as possible.

The main and most important difference is the addition of S/MIME, so it
should be part of the new name and command.

How about:

gpg   ==  GnuPG      ==  GnuPG Classic
gpgs ==  GnuPG+S  ==  GnuPG+S/MIME

Dirk