Multiple Email address for private key

David Koppenhofer david at coffeefish.org
Sat Aug 2 05:41:13 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Kunal Shah <kunalvshah+gnupg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to know if it is possible to have multiple email addresses in
> single public/private key so that I have to use only one private key
> to sign outgoing messages and I have to distribute only one public key
> to get encrypted message for my 4 different email accounts.

Hi Kunal,

Yes, you can have multiple email addresses associated with a keypair.
They're called "uid's".  The methods to add a new uid vary with the
GUI you use, but on the command line, you can do:
gpg --edit-key <keyid>

Then at the "Command>" prompt, type adduid.  You'll then be prompted
for the Real Name, email address, comment, as when you first generated
your key.  Don't forget to 'save' your changes.

HTH,
David